Wednesday 10 September 2008

People are strange

Helen: I wanted to write this before I forget - actually, I've been meaning to for ages but have been struggling with the words to express what I mean... It's so frustrating traveling. It really is. The concept of 'customer service' just doesn't seem to exist outside of, for want of better words 'Western culture' (an Australian described themselves as 'European' the other day to make the distinction from being polynesian - wierd). The only places we've been since we left home where we've had really good service have been owned by expats. And that makes a huge huge difference to how we feel - if people are friendly and helpful and provide good, clean, efficient services it makes you feel good - and the converse is true - the times we've been miserable on this trip, it's guaranteed that we've been in dingy accommodation with poor food trying to deal with grumpy people. But it's not like the locals aren't capable of good customer service - it just seems that it's not part of their culture. Someone suggested that that's because of the climate here - in more temperate climates people have to work hard all summer to feed themselves all year - here food just grows without much effort and it's warm all year so shelter isn't so much of a problem either. This means people literally don't have to work that hard...so they don't! Which is surely the state that most people in The West want to achieve? A life of leisure. And yet, when I see people doing it, it drives me mad and I want to shout at them 'why don't you DO something and work harder'. Crazy! And it's a particular problem in Tonga - every man gets 8 acres from the King automatically, and foreigners can't buy land, only lease it. So all the locals lease part of their land, and live off the money with no need to work for money.

Right, sociology lecture over. Only one other thing to say - saw this great saying in the loo of our favourite bar here: People who say something can't be done should stay out of the way of the people doing it!

OK, off for tea with our friends, and then to use a dremel tool to make buttons out of an oyster shell for the shirt I'm making C. Pictures to follow soon - the collar went ok, but I'm not looking forward to the button holes...

H&Cxxxxxxxx

PS ought to mention, briefly, our scooter expedition - I fell off...twice. Grazed my knee and elbow (and ego) but otherwise ok. Dented the scooter...and our plan of riding home on two motorbikes. Time for plan B....

3 comments:

Jayne said...

Arrgghh - damn computers. Typed my comment then the stupid thing decided to reboot and lost everything I was working on! I'm here, reading everying.

Thought of you the other day. Tim and Kate (I think you know them), came to lunch with their 9 month old and bought a bottle of Piper champagne with them. I remembered it was Charlie's favourite. Seems like a very long time ago we came to visit you in Edinburgh - where can we visit you this year?

Keep writing.

Love to you both from all of us in very wet and dreary Petts Wood.

J
xxxx

Susan said...

Still here and still reading and enjoying your blogs and the pictures - even look you up on Google Earth every so often and play with the picture sand the orientation (yes, I know it's extremely sad and confirms raging senility). Good to know all is going reasonably to plan - take care, Susan xx

emanuela said...

Ciao we are Marco Ferrario's parents and friends, we read your very interesting blog,it's a long time that I (mother)try to write a comment because I am not too able with pc and with english.Now Marco is sailing from BoraBora to New Zealand with Frasimada an italian catamarano.We all enjoy and learn with you many thanks for your tales,sail before the wind,is it