Wednesday 20 August 2008

Broken glasses and mended shorts

Helen: It wasn't my fault. It really wasn't. I put them down for two minutes and then a small child picked them up and they snapped. Doubly annoying because I really liked them, and they were my only pair. Will probably have to wait til NZ for a new pair. Humph. But...on the positive side, my sewing has been going really well. I've fixed C's beloved old blue Beefeater t-shirt and his everyday shorts (using a pair of our new skippers old board shorts - I even managed to make a headband for myself out of the same material so now C and I look like something out of The Sound of Music with our matching clothes...). And, best news of all, I've pretty much made myself a dress out of the hibiscus material I bought in Papeete. It fits perfectly...which means that getting it on and off is a real palaver. Will have to put a zip in or something. I spent all day yesterday on the sewing machine - took me and C at least an hour to try to set it up and, of course, there were a few moments when I screamed at it, but, all in all, it was a pretty uneventful session as sewing machine sessions go. I did run the batteries on the boat down though. Ooops.
We're heading out for Niue (world's smallest independent nation I think) today - should take 5 days. We should have a couple of days there and then it's on to Tonga - grandma is visiting Yamana so we have 6 weeks in Tonga on our own... Our first couple of days on board Yamana have been great (broken glasses incident excepted) - we even got a bedtime story last night - Alice is reading Lord of the Rings to the kids - but Rubin was so exhausted (because C had had them running around all day trying to make crutches out of odd bits of wood for their friend who had broken her leg!!) - he fell asleep before the Ring was destroyed... C even promised to read (and has since read) the first HP book - predictably he said it was 'rubbish'. Speaking of which - we went to see Indy 4 at the cinema on Weds - I was so excited...but it was awful :( - when did Indiana Jones ever, EVER, have anything to do with Aliens? Think Lucas and Spielberg got their films confused and thought they were making another Star Wars or ET. More money on scripts please, and less on bad special effects! Oh well, the whole cinema experience was a laugh. They wouldn't even run the film til they had at least 10 people, and then they just stopped it half way through for an interval!
Right, that's enough rambling - will write again, if we can, when we get to Niue
Lots of love
Hxx

No comments: