Thursday 31 January 2008

Matt - a great skipper

Helen: Unusually for me, I'm pretty lost for words this time, and don't really know where to begin. C and I started this big adventure partly to see the world and have fun, and partly to see what life would throw at us. So far it's been pretty challenging, and we didn't think it could get much worse. It did on Monday night. The skipper of our boat died on board in his sleep. He was only 30 and was on his honeymoon - he and his wife had taken a year off to sail the world. It doesn't get much more unfair than that. I'm glad I don't believe in God, because I'd have a hard time reconcilling his existence with a situation like this. There's so much more I'd like to write about this, but time is short, and, it all seems a bit unreal still. I think that's the only way my brain can really cope just now. On Monday, C and I were stoked that we'd seen a turtle diving, and the most pressing thing that we had to do was some homework for our diving exam. The four of us had a lovely evening together - we never thought we'd never see him again. I hope we've helped Hannah by being here until her family arrived - this whole thing has been traumatic enough without having to cope on alone and so far from home. On Tuesday I was pretty ready to pack up and come home, until Hannah said 'don't be daft, Matt would be really unimpressed by that - you've got to carry on'. So we will. We're talking about him now, and laughing, and crying, and trying to remember all the good times. He was such a wonderful skipper and a lovely bloke. ITS SO FUCKING UNFAIR.
Anyway, the sailing community has really rallied around, and we're staying with a couple until we can find a lift to Panama with another boat. The kindness of strangers over the last few days has been the silver lining, and restored my faith in humanity - one lady said that C and I are the same age as her kids, and she couldn't bear to think of them so far from home with no one to look after them, so she's putting us up. Right now, all I'd really like to do is talk to my Mummy.
I think that's enough for now.
Hx

4 comments:

Susan said...

Darling Helen, I am so glad that I picked up the phone just now and we were able to talk about the events of the last couple of days. I think we said everything we needed to say - just want you to know that we are thinking of you and Charlie. I am so grateful to the lovely lady who is looking after you right now - please thank her for me. Take great care - much love mummyxx

Anonymous said...

We just wanted to let you know that we're thinking of you both. I know we're a long way away, but if there's anything we can do to help make things better, do let us know. Take care and keep adventuring, love Liz and Paul xxx

Eoin said...

Life adventure!?#%$!! You have certainly found that...

Does being far away from the ones we love in times of need bring us closer together?

There is little else to say... Keep strong :-]


Eoin

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear that things are not going well. I was reading your last post (but one) a couple of days ago and was so happy to hear that things had taken a turn for the better, they could scarcely have got worse since.

I obviously didn’t know your skipper but I’m sure that he would have wanted you to keep going so do.

I’ll e-mail you soon.

Graham