Tuesday 11 March 2008

Next stop Galapagos!

Helen: It feels like all we´ve done the last few days is SHOPPING! We must´ve bought about a tonne of food which should hopefully last us til the Marquesas, and some of it even til NZ. Spending 500 quid on food in one go is a bit painful...but over that timeframe it works out at about 2 pounds a day, so we can´t really complain (but saving all this money is a good thing...as when we get to the Galapagos it´s apparently horribly expensive!)

Life on Nomad is getting better (I´ve fixed the mattresses and head lining in our cabin, and C has fixed the loo (!) and I´ve hung bee up to keep us company)...but the skipper is driving me mad already. I´ve been thinking about it, and I think one of the main reasons I don´t like him that much is that he´s fat. I know that sounds odd...but it explains so much about him - he eats too much (biscuits, chocolate, fatty bacon etc...), drinks too much and smokes too much. He always wants to take a taxi instead of walk. Definitely NOT the Pank way. Oh well...he´s nice enough I guess...just does lots of little things that wind me up. Like not even trying to talk to people in Spanish. Or not looking to see if we´ve finished the last milk before opening another. But I guess one of the things you learn on a trip like this is humility and how to get on with other people...

Anyway, rant over. Gotta go soon - have a few more chores to do before going home, and then it´s an early night for us all as we have to leave for Las Perlas early tomorrow - a few days snorkelling there...and then Galapagos here we come. Hopefully we should be able to post while we´re sailing (thanks Bob!) but if not, I´m afraid this will be the last message for a couple of weeks...

Lots of love, hope the storms aren´t too bad in the UK (you have all the wind! Reports are that boats are motoring 900 miles from Las Perlas to Galapagos as there´s no wind here!)

Hxx

2 comments:

Susan said...

Am very envious about the Galapagos Islands. Your obese skipper sounds trying but I guess you will get used to his endearing little ways. The wind and rain have just about blown over the UK, but it was hairy for a while.
The photos of the Mermaid on the Scillywebcam were amazing - the whole oub appeared to be submerged by waves coming over the harbour wall. The wind was sufficient to ground planes at Heathrow and Gatwick and close the Dartford suspension bridge, so it was a little outside our usual March winds! C&M now settled in Glasgow - rather colder than Kent I fancy. Take care, Susan xx

Dave Martin said...

Biscuits - CHECK
Chocolate - CHECK
Bacon - CHECK
Taxi rather than walk - CHECK
Speaking English - CHECK

I'll let you know if I open the next milk too early..