Saturday 29 December 2007

Much better now...

Helen: Thought I ought to write a couple of lines to say we're both feeling a lot better now. And thanks to everyone who comments on our blog - it makes us smile and not feel so far away to hear from you all :)

So...we spent yesterday fixing everything. I stowed (found homes) for everything that moves on the boat (was tempted to include the skipper and cat in this process) which is one of my favourite things to do - having decided that we were going to stay on board I figured I might as well make the place livable so I cleaned all the cupboards and sorted out all the food stores. We bought herbs and spices yesterday too, and arranged all the books on the bookshelves. Small things, I know, but it makes the place feel more homely. C mended everything that needed mending too, and we convinced the skipper to buy lots of new gear. To make things even better we saw our friend Marco, who we met in Las Palmas, for a few rum and cokes last night, and our other friend from the ARC, Joel is going to join our crew in a few weeks time which will make it all not just bearable but lots of fun.

And, best news of all, C and Joel have both decided that buying a boat might be a good idea. So, if all goes according to plan we'll buy one together and it won't sink and we'll have adventures and lots of fun, and you'll be able to come stay with us. Yesterday I found an advert for a 41ft boat well within our budget in Grenada...so we're going to investigate tomorrow. Well, not tomorrow, cos EVERYWHERE is closed, but on Monday. Then we're off up the coast towards an island called Carriacou for those of you with atlases.

Before I go, here's a thought for you - on the wall of the internet cafe there is a little poem, and there is one line that I like so much I think I might stick it above my bed so that I see it every morning: "What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it". Good sentiment for a new year's resolution indeed.

Ok, gotta go now.
Hx

PS think I forgot to tell you C's favourite memory of the trip so far - when we were in Trinidad he bought a fresh coconut (big green thing, with the small brown hairy shell that we know in the UK on the inside) from Johnny who had a huge machetee and just chopped the top off. He spilled coconut juice all down his front and then ate all the insides. What a piggy. (If I did tell you already, sorry - better twice than not at all) xx

PPS HAPPY NEW YEAR incase we don't get to write before...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Just to help give you guys some perspective, I have spent from Monday til today (Saturday) surrounded by 3 computers, attempting to salvage Alice's laptop. I got down to the Blue Screen Of Death a couple of times. Bad when it's your computer. Even worse when it's your girlfriend's, and you're supposed to be fixing it, not making it worse.
You'll be pleased to know that i finally succeeded due mainly to my residual knowledge of msdos commands such as 'xcopy C:\tempor~1\mydocu~1 /e /h etc.... i am utterly sick staring at computer screens.
To top it all off, i seem to have ended up at Park End last night. It has somehow managed to get even worse than what i previously believed to be the nadir of nightclubs. The stench of stale vomit on the floors still resides in the memory cells of my nostrils...
I would so much rather be outside playing frisbee or maybe even looking at cows. Are there any cows in the caribbean? Don't know if you heard, but Alice MADE me a cow advent calendar. It's amoozing. So I am very jealous of you guys, despite not yet finding the perfect yacht and perfect crew... YOU ARE SAILING AROUND THE CARIBBEAN!! How on earth can you expect commiseration?! Was lovely to speak to you guys for so long on Christmas Eve. Tek Care, speak soon.
xx
Will

Dave Martin said...

Just because we have not posted a comment yet does not mean we are not enjoying reading and keeping up with your life story! Try not to get yourselves killed!. Happy New Year. All the best love D,J,B & L

Susan said...

Good to hear things are looking up - amazing news about the boat!!Keep us posted re progress. Am so glad you are feeling happier. Weather here going downhill as country gets off its collective backside and contemplates the trek back to work - dire warnings of snow and ice country-wide from the ever friendly Met office! I am off to a meeting in Oxford on forensic anatomy for three days, which should be interesting - just hope it's not the wrong kind of snow and the trains keep running. C and M back this evening but off immediately to celebrate the New Year. Daddy and I will be staying in, but will raise a glass to you both at midnight. Much love, Susan xx

Unknown said...

charlie,

it was my understanding that you must spill part of the coconut milk down the front of your shirt or you aren't really doing it correctly, so well done!

glad to hear things are going better. best of luck with the boat hunting.

bill